Known as one of the country’s most fashionable cities, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that Charleston
is a place for many emerging designers to seek discovery. Since 2007 the city has hosted Charleston Fashion Week
, and its emerging designer competition has brought young designers to the attention of the industry’s heavies.
Each spring Marion Square becomes dotted with tents and beautiful people eager to see the latest trends and bridal wear. In 2012, 7,500 people attended the event from all over the country, and special guests included Fern Mallis, who created the renowned New York Fashion Week, designer Chris Benz, and ELLE magazine’s fashion news director, Anne Slowey.
For 2013, the event, which takes place March 19-23, there will be a Rock The Runway Model Competition, the Charleston Weddings magazine Spring Bridal Show, and, of course, the eagerly anticipated emerging designer finals. Regular attendees have waited with baited breath to hear who will be on this year’s fashion panel that has the tough job of choosing a winner. This year’s lineup includes:
* Ashanti, Grammy Award winning recording artist,
* Fern Mallis, International Fashion and Deisng Consultant and Host of 92Y lecture series Fashion Icons with Fern Mallis,
* Antonio Azzuolo, Fashion Designer,
* Arlene Goldstein, Vice President of Trend Merchandising and Fashion Direction, Belk,
* Johnson Hartig, Fashion designer, Libertine,
* Sarah Parrott, Fashion designer, Bow & Drape,
* Nikki Poulos, Fashion designer, nikki poulos,
* Christian Siriano, Fashion designer and winner of Project Runway Season 4,
* Cator Sparks, Editor in Chief, TheManual.com, and
* Brandon Sun, Fashion Designer.
In addition to the jaw-dropping list of guests above, the week will showcase featured designers, including:
* K. Cooper Ray, fashion designer and founder of Social Primer,
* Hannah Goff, fashion designer, 2012 East winner of CFW Emerging Designer Competition, and
* Anne Barge, founder Anne Barge Bridal Collection.
Listing all of that made me a little bit breathless. I don’t think I need to say much more to convey what an exciting week this will be! For ticket information, please click here.