It's time for strawberries and food festivals in South Carolina
Posted 4/28/2011 10:00:00 AM
Here’s sweet news: It's strawberry season in South Carolina.
The season peaks in May, but you don’t want to waste any of the short season where you can buy fresh strawberries grown near where you live.
At McLeod Farms in McBee
, the fields opened for pick-your-own April 9. And the farms in the upper part of the state, such as Strawberry Hill in Chesnee
, have ripe berries now.
for a list of Certified South Carolina strawberry farms.
You can celebrate at several strawberry festivals in May:
* The 2011 South Carolina Strawberry Festival
, Fort Mill, May 6-7
* Lowcountry Strawberry Festival, Boone Hall Plantation,
Mount Pleasant, May 7-8
* McLeod Farms’ Strawberry Festival,
McBee, May 14
Spring bring lots of festivals starring food. Check out some of the ones listed below:
* The Clarendon County Striped Bass Festival,
Manning, April 30
* Black Creek, Blue Jeans & BBQ Festival,
Hartsville, April 29-30
* The Colleton County Rice Festival,
Walterboro, April 29-May 1
* Lowcountry Shrimp Festival,
McClellanville, May 7
* The Blue Crab Festival,
Little River, May 14-15
* South Carolina Poultry Festival,
Batesburg, Leesville, May 12-14
* First Flush FesTEAval, Charleston Tea Plantation,
May 15, Wadmalaw Island