Pardo Stone at the Spartanburg Regional History Museum

By:Page Ivey

Date:9/20/2013


When we think about South Carolina history, of course we think about the Civil War and the Revolutionary War and even Colonial times. But between the time when Columbus discovered the New World and before French and British immigrants began building cities, South Carolina saw its share of explorers trooping through, looking for gold or anything else to make venturing into our swampy thick forests worthwhile.

Such an adventurer was Spanish explorer Juan Pardo.

Pardo took an expedition from the Spanish Fort San Felipe on Parris Islan​d near Beaufort to an area about 15 miles southeast of Augusta, Ga., then due north to the mountains. He then traveled east to the Wateree River in the center of the state and back to Beaufort.

Historians think Pardo followed trails between the Cherokees in the South Carolina foothills and the Catawbas in what is now York County. The 1567 expedition was to visit Fort San Juan – an outpost Pardo established a year earlier in the Appalachian foothills.

Earlier this year, a team of archaeologists said they had found the remains of Fort San Juan in western North Carolina – one of about six outposts he established in the Carolinas as part of an effort to connect the interior of North America with Spanish silver mines in Mexico. Their geography was a little off.

Just a few months after Pardo left for more exploration back toward the coast, local Indians attacked Fort San Juan and killed almost everyone. Eventually, the Spanish gave up on the Carolinas.

But, an artifact was left behind that was discovered in 1935 by a Spartanbu​rg County farmer. The Pardo Stone is about the size of a legal-sized notepad, 4 inches thick. It has the date 1567 and an arrow etched into the stone, which looks like granite, but is softer, and a parallelogram below the number.

The relic was validated in 1936 by historian D.D. Wallace, who wrote in the Hispanic American Review that it was unlikely a fake because the average South Carolinian would not have known enough about the expedition to create a convincing artifact.

The Spartanburg Regional History Mu​seum (864) 596-3501, 200 E. John St., is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday and 1-5 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is free, but donations are appreciated.

The stone is part of the museum's permanent exhibit, which offers a walk through Spartanburg history from the Spanish explorer through modern times and includes a good portion dedicated to the textile mills that were such a big part of Spartanburg’s 20th century story.

Related Content

South Carolina Railroad Museum
The South Carolina Railroad Museum houses several exhibits spread throughout its main building and several stationary train cars. The main attraction is the hour-long train ride along an old spur once used by the old granite quarry.

Featured Products

Spartanburg Regional History Museum
Mountains

Spartanburg

Mountains

Mountains

The
Mountains Region

Learn More
The regional museum looks at various aspects of Spartanburg County's history through permanent and changing exhibits. The permanent collection includes the Pardo Stone, C ...
City of Spartanburg
Mountains

Spartanburg

Mountains

Mountains

The
Mountains Region

Learn More
Located in the foothills of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, Spartanburg is known for its Revolutionary War battles, as well as a rich textile and agricultural history ...
Lowcountry & Resort Islands Tourism Commission
Coast

Yemassee

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
South of Charleston, North of Savannah… Near Heaven The South Carolina Lowcountry beckons beach lovers, thrill seekers, history buffs, outdoor enthusiasts, bird w ...

Featured products and attractions in "Pardo Stone at the Spartanburg Regional History Museum"

Nearby Attractions

  • {{item.name}}

You might also like:

Lunney House Museum
Mountains

Seneca

Mountains

Mountains

The
Mountains Region

Learn More
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this California style bungalow was built in 1909 by Dr. & Mrs. W.J. Lunney and occupied continuously by the Lunney fam ...
Old Town Hall Museum
Coast

Andrews

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
Housed in the original Town Hall, the museum (c. 1900) depicts a turn-of-the-century Andrews home. Items in the museum are circa 1909, the year Andrews was founded. ...
I.P. Stanback Museum & Planetarium
Midlands

Orangeburg

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
The planetarium is located on the campus of South Carolina State University and features Sky-Skan Automation and the NASA Educator Resource Center. An art museum offers A ...
Hagood-Mauldin House/Irma Morris Museum Of Fine Art
Mountains

Pickens

Mountains

Mountains

The
Mountains Region

Learn More
Built c. 1856 in the original Pickens County seat west of the Keowee River, this classical Greek Revival house was dismantled and moved here when the town was moved in 18 ...
Cheraw Lyceum
Midlands

Cheraw

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
The Lyceum (c. 1820) began as a chancery court, became the Lyceum Meeting Room and private library, served as Cheraw's first telegraph office, and was both the Confedera ...
Berkeley Museum
Coast

Moncks Corner

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
Located in Old Santee Canal Park, the museum houses exhibits and interpretive displays covering 12,000 years of cultural and natural history. ...