Visit the York W. Bailey Museum at Penn Center

By:Amy Holtcamp

Date:4/5/2011

St. Helena Island's Penn Center in South Carolina
The Penn Center on St. Helena Island.

It was called the “Port Royal Experiment.”

In 1862 Southern whites fled the Lo​​wcountry​ Sea Islands as Union troops took control the Port Royal Sound. They left behind their plantations, many of their belonging and some 10,000 enslaved people who found themselves suddenly free. With nearby Beauf​ort under the control of the Union army, Philanthropists and abolitionists from the North set up schools for those newly freed to help them in the transition from slavery to freedom. Slavery had outlawed the education of people of color in this country; setting up schools to teach them everything from reading to cooking to wheel-wrighting seemed an “experiment” at the time.

The Penn Ce​nter was one of those schools. The York W. Bailey Museum chronicles the center’s important history as a place of education, activism and community-building.

Named for Quaker William Penn and situated under a grove of moss-covered oak trees on scenic St. Helena Island, The Penn Center was set up by Northern missionaries Laura M. Towne and Ellen Murray. For some 80 years the center operated as a school for African-Americans.

The school closed in the 1940s, but it went on to play a role in the struggle for Civil Rights. During the 1960s, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. saw the Penn Center as a safe haven for retreats and strategic planning. The center also was used during that time as a training facility for President Kennedy’s newly formed Peace Corps.

Designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1974, the Penn Center is still an important cultural institution. It assists local community members with education, health care and legal assistance and works to preserve the culture of the Gullah people of the Sea Islands. The annual Penn Center Heritage Days, held each November, celebrates the Sea Island culture with music, dancing, historical presentations and traditional foods.

The York W. Bailey Museum, named after a Penn Center student who went on to practice medicine on St. Helena Island, offers a look into the stories of the people whose lives were changed by this important American institution. Especially inspiring are the many photographs of students at work, some of which were taken as far back as the 1860s. A helpful video offers history and personal recollections of the Penn Center’s past, and local artists fill the gift shop with handmade sweetgrass baskets and colorful, original artwork.

The museum is open Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and by special appointment. Admission is $5 for adults; $4 for seniors; $2 for youth (up to age 16); and $3 for groups of 10 or more. Click h​ere for more information.

Related Content

Living History at Freewoods Farm
African-American farmers played a huge role in American history. Freewoods Farm is a 40-acre living history museum built to remember that history. It replicates the practices common to black farms from the turn of the 20th century to the 1950s.
Five Small Towns to Visit Near Charleston
Shopping, eating, and sightseeing are all staples to the coastal city of Charleston, but not far from it, there are the sights of small town South Carolina to explore. Here are five towns that will show you what the Lowcountry is all about.
Beaufort is a great choice for history, beaches and more
Beaufort, a waterfront gem on the coast south of Charleston and near Hilton Head, is the perfect family weekend getaway -- no matter what your children’s interests.

Featured Products

Penn Center National Historic Landmark
Coast

Saint Helena Island

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
Northern missionaries and abolitionists Laura Towne and Ellen Murray founded Penn School in 1862 for the education of newly freed Sea Island slaves. It was one of the fir ...

Featured products and attractions in "Visit the York W. Bailey Museum at Penn Center"

Nearby Attractions

  • {{item.name}}

You might also like:

Lunney House Museum
Mountains

Seneca

Mountains

Mountains

The
Mountains Region

Learn More
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this California style bungalow was built in 1909 by Dr. & Mrs. W.J. Lunney and occupied continuously by the Lunney fam ...
Old Town Hall Museum
Coast

Andrews

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
Housed in the original Town Hall, the museum (c. 1900) depicts a turn-of-the-century Andrews home. Items in the museum are circa 1909, the year Andrews was founded. ...
I.P. Stanback Museum & Planetarium
Midlands

Orangeburg

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
The planetarium is located on the campus of South Carolina State University and features Sky-Skan Automation and the NASA Educator Resource Center. An art museum offers A ...
Hagood-Mauldin House/Irma Morris Museum Of Fine Art
Mountains

Pickens

Mountains

Mountains

The
Mountains Region

Learn More
Built c. 1856 in the original Pickens County seat west of the Keowee River, this classical Greek Revival house was dismantled and moved here when the town was moved in 18 ...
Cheraw Lyceum
Midlands

Cheraw

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
The Lyceum (c. 1820) began as a chancery court, became the Lyceum Meeting Room and private library, served as Cheraw's first telegraph office, and was both the Confedera ...
Berkeley Museum
Coast

Moncks Corner

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
Located in Old Santee Canal Park, the museum houses exhibits and interpretive displays covering 12,000 years of cultural and natural history. ...