The Santa Elena/Charlesfort site traces the history of early European settlement of Parris Island and South Carolina. The site covers the 1562 French settlement known as Charlesfort and the 1566-1587 Spanish village of Santa Elena. Remains of the Spanish forts San Felipe and San Marcos are still visible. There are interpretive exhibits on history and archaeology, monuments to the French and Spanish, a nature overlook and a nature/history trail. On occasion, archaeological work is carried out on the site. Driving tours and additional exhibits are available at the Parris Island Museum.