Established in 1670, this "mother church" of the Province originally stood on the site where St. Michael's stands today. The present building (c. 1835-1838) saw its bells converted into cannons during the Civil War. On July 4, 1976, new bells were placed in the steeple, and again St. Philip's bells could call the faithful to worship. St. Philip's was known as the lighthouse church, a light having been put into the steeple to help guide ships to port. The federal government actually maintained this light early into the 20th century. The property is a National Historic Landmark.