The legislature established the South Carolina Military Academy in 1842, better known today as The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina. Originally located on Francis Marion Square, the school moved to its present location on the Ashley River in 1922. Cadets from the school were involved with the firings on the Star of the West when it attempted to re-supply Ft. Sumter and later the firing on Ft. Sumter, beginning the Civil War. There were 224 Citadel alumni at the start of the Civil War of which 209 joined the Confederate Army. Four were made generals, 19 led regiments and almost all of the rest served as officers.