Aiken CountyNorth Augusta

There were two towns to precede North Augusta. In 1770, Campbell Town was established, and Hamburg in 1827. In the late 1800's, young James U. Jackson dreamed of a town on the opposite site of the Savannah River from Augusta, GA. In 1890, he purchased more than 5,000 acres for $100,000 and started building. In 1902, he added the flamboyant resort, Hampton Terrace Hotel. When the motion picture industry showed an interest in locating movie studios there, locals wanted nothing of it. Changing lifestyles was not an option. Inevitably, change arrived on New Year's Eve, 1916, when the Hampton Terrace went up in smoke. Antebellum homes line downtown streets from the early resort era, reminding the public of yesteryear.