The City of Lancaster, the county seat for Lancaster County, is located southeast of Charlotte, NC. Originally inhabited by the Catawba and Waxhaw Indian nations, the area was later settled in the mid 1700s by Scotch-Irish farmers from Lancaster, Pa. who immigrated to America from England. The red rose was the emblem of the House of Lancaster during England's War of the Roses (1455-1485); thus came the nickname of South Carolina's Lancaster, the "Red Rose City."
The area has hosted two wars and is home to Andrew Jackson State Park, named after the seventh U.S. president. The historic downtown district includes several landmarks and points of interest including a jail and a courthouse both designed by Robert Mills, the designer of the Washington Monument.