West Columbia is located in the eastern portion of Lexington County, along the Congaree and Saluda rivers. It was originally incorporated as the town of Brookland, named because of the large number of clear-water brooks in the area, then later to New Brookland. In 1936 the charter was changed to West Columbia.
This riverfront city provides a small-town feel across the river from South Carolina’s capital city, Columbia. State and Meeting streets include specialty shops, antique stores, restaurants, coffee shops and taverns. Stretched along the West bank of the Congaree River is a scenic walkway and amphitheater. Riverbanks Zoo & Botanical Garden has an entrance in West Columbia that takes visitors directly into the gardens.