In the Piedmont region of South Carolina sits the town and county seat, Saluda. Originally inhabited by the Cherokee Indians, Scotch-Irish and English settlers began moving into the area in the mid 1700s. For many years Saluda’s economy was driven by cotton and the railroad, later to be replaced by textiles.
On the courthouse square are the Saluda County Historical Museum and the Art Deco style theater built in 1936. It is being restored to its original condition. Other sites nearby include the pre-Revolutionary Bonham House, called “Flat Grove” and the Marsh-Johnson House. The theater and both houses are listed on the National Register of Historical Places.