In 1906, Adolphus High Page brought the Chesterfield & Lancaster Railroad to the community. Two years later, on January 11, 1908, the town of Pageland (named in his honor) received its charter from the state. The town's population was a modest 157. Today, Pageland is Chesterfield County's second largest town, with a growing population of nearly 3,000. Pageland is known as the Watermelon Capital of the World because of the annual watermelon festival held each July.