Heyward-Washington House

87 Church ST

Charleston, SC 29401


Phone: (843) 722-2996

City: Charleston

Region: Coastal & Islands

Heyward-Washington House

The Heyward-Washington House, “Charleston’s Revolutionary War House”, was acquired by the Museum in 1929 and opened the following year as Charleston's first historic house museum. Built in 1772 and recognized as a National Historic Landmark, this Georgian-style double house was the town home of patriot leader and artillery officer, Thomas Heyward, Jr., one of four South Carolina signers of the Declaration of Independence. The City rented this house for George Washington's use during the President's week-long Charleston stay, in May 1791, and it has since traditionally been called the "Heyward-Washington House." Inside one can find an incredible collection of historic Charleston-made furniture including the priceless Holmes Bookcase which is considered one of the finest examples of American-made colonial furniture. Also featured is the only 1740s kitchen building open to the public in Charleston as well as formal gardens containing plants commonly used in the South Carolina Lowcountry in the late 18th century.

Things to do near Heyward-Washington House

Nearby Attractions

  • {{item.name}}

You might also like:

Top