Florence National Cemetery

803 E National Cemetery RD

Florence, SC 29506

Phone: (843) 669-8783

City: Florence

Region: Midlands

Florence National Cemetery

Florence National Cemetery was established in 1865 in Florence just south of one of the largest Confederate Civil War prisoners of war camps. Early graves for the dead from the POW camp were originally marked by headboards, properly lettered, and later replaced by upright marble headstones. The cemetery is listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1998 and includes the remains of veterans from every war and branch of the military who have served our country since the Civil War.

Things to do near Florence National Cemetery

Nearby Attractions

  • {{item.name}}

You might also like:

Francis Marion Tomb
Region: Coastal & Islands
The tomb of General Francis Marion is located at the site of Belle Isle plantation, which belonged to his brother Gabriel. This legendary American hero, the "Swamp Fox" o ...
The Parish Church of St. Helena
Region: Coastal & Islands
The parish was founded in 1712, but the original church was not completed until 1724, construction being interrupted due to the Yemassee War. Following the Union occupati ...
Old Stone Church
Region: Mountains
Revolutionary War hero Gen. Andrew Pickens and others built this Presbyterian church in 1797. The sanctuary was damaged by fire and is no longer in use, but stands watch ...
Beaufort National Cemetery
Region: Coastal & Islands
With the National Cemetery Act of 1863 Abraham Lincoln established this cemetery for soldiers who died in the Civil War. Of the 7,500 Civil War soldiers buried here, 117 ...
Lee County Cotton Festival
Region: Midlands
The Lee County Festival celebrates the harvest of "king cotton," the county's primary crop. This family-oriented festival is held in the historic downtown area. It will i ...
Church Of The Holy Apostles
Region: Midlands
Built in 1856 of pine in the typical Gothic style of the English Parish Church, tradition states this Episcopal sanctuary was used as a stable for Union horses by Gen. Ki ...