The only covered bridge remaining in South Carolina is a well-preserved piece of Upcountry history. Campbell's Covered Bridge is named for Lafayette Campbell, owner of a nearby grist mill who allowed his property to be used for the bridge's construction. Built in 1909, it bridges a lovely, meandering stream. Walk-through fences provide a close-up view. Covered bridges were especially popular in mountains because they provided extra protection for river and creek crossings in snow and ice. They also helped reduce travel time during various types of weather. Campbell's Covered Bridge site is now owned by Greenville County.