This large clapboard mansion was built by Lewis Gibbes and his wife, the former Maria Drayton, to enjoy the more healthful climate of the foothills. The house and farm were later enlarged by subsequent owners, Dr. O.R. Broyles, James Latta, Robert Adger for his daughter Clarissa and her husband O.A. Bowen, William Warren and his wife the former Sarah Adger, and Francis Pelzer. The 10-acre site also includes the original well house and a 1790 two-story brick structure which was operated as a Tavern by the Samuel Gassaway family. The house is fully restored and furnished with antebellum antiques many of which belonged to the original families. Ashtabula is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a site on the SC National Heritage Corridor. The Pendleton Historic Foundation stages an annual Christmas historical reenactment at Ashtabula on the first weekend in December. Special school tours are offered tailored to the grade level.