Cape Romain Lighthouses

5821 Hwy 17 N

Awendaw, SC 29429


Phone: (843) 928-3368

City: Awendaw

Region: Coastal & Islands

Cape Romain Lighthouses

The 65-ft. red brick tower (c. 1827) is the oldest of its kind still standing in the US. It was replaced in 1857 by a 150-ft.-octagonal-shaped tower. The lantern room and lens, destroyed by Confederate troops in 1861, were replaced and remained in service until 1947. The lighthouses, on Lighthouse Island, can only be seen by boat.

Things to do near Cape Romain Lighthouses

Nearby Attractions

  • {{item.name}}

You might also like:

St. Philip's Episcopal Church
Coast

Charleston

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
Established in 1670, this "mother church" of the Province originally stood on the site where St. Michael's stands today. The present building (c. 1835-1838) saw its bells ...
Daufuskie Island Historical/Cultural Tour
Coast

Daufuskie Island

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
This tour explores Daufuskie Island, accessible only by boat and the setting for Pat Conroy's "The Water is Wide." The narrated tour takes visitors to the island's winery ...
City of Folly Beach
Coast

Folly Beach

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
Folly Beach is a barrier island, six miles long and the closest beach to historical Charleston, South Carolina, 15 minutes via the Connector. Folly Beach is the home of s ...
Folly Beach - Charleston's Beach Town
Coast

Folly Beach

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
Folly Beach, South Carolina is one of America’s last true beach towns. Just minutes from historic downtown Charleston, Folly Beach is a 12 square mile barrier island that ...
Morris Island Lighthouse
Coast

Folly Beach

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
Built in 1767 at the southern entrance to Charleston, the original tower was destroyed during the Civil War. The new tower, built in 1876, stands 161 ft. with 201 steps l ...
Sullivan's Island Lighthouse
Coast

Sullivan's Island

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
Built in 1962, this automated lighthouse is adjacent to Fort Moultrie. An active light house, the 140-ft. tall structure's light, at just over a million candlepower, has ...