The parish church for St. James, Goose Creek is one of the earliest Georgian style churches found in the English colonies. Built between 1713-19 by planters from Barbados this compact stucco single story structure features a slate jerkinhead roof and arched windows. Tradition has it that the church was saved from burning by British troops because of the Royal arms over the chancel. On Sunday, July 15, 1781, Wade Hampton made a raid on the church while services were in progress making prisoners of several Loyalists in the congregation.
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places as a National Historic Landmark.