Eutaw Springs

SC 6

Eutawville, SC 29048


City: Eutawville

Region: Midlands

Eutaw Springs

Eutaw Springs is the site of the last major battle of the Revolution in South Carolina which took place on September 8, 1781, when the armies of General Nathanael Greene and Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Stewart met near these limestone springs. Technically a British victory, the American forces decimated the British ranks forcing them to retreat once again to Charleston. One month later Lord Charles Cornwallis, commander of the British forces in America, surrendered at Yorktown, Virginia. The springs are under the waters of Lake Marion today, but most of the battleground is still above water. Part of the site is maintained as a park by the Santee-Cooper Authority. Major John Marjoribanks, British hero of the battle, is buried on the park grounds.

Things to do near Eutaw Springs

Nearby Attractions

  • {{}}

You might also like:

Issaqueena Falls/Stumphouse Tunnel
Region: Mountains
A short easy walking trail leads from Stumphouse Mountain Park to Issaqueena Falls, a beautiful 200-ft. cascade. Legend has it that the Indian maiden, Issaqueena, rode to ...
Boone Hall Plantation
Region: Coastal & Islands
Boone Hall is one of America's oldest working, living plantations, established in 1681 by Major John Boone. The present plantation manor house dates to 1935. The famous a ...
Kings Mountain National Military Park
Region: Mountains
On Oct. 7, 1780, a group of Patriot militia from what is now Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Georgia defeated British Major Patrick Ferguson and h ...
Lunney House Museum
Region: Mountains
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this California style bungalow was built in 1909 by Dr. & Mrs. W.J. Lunney and occupied continuously by the Lunney fam ...
Old Town Hall Museum
Region: Coastal & Islands
Housed in the original Town Hall, the museum (c. 1900) depicts a turn-of-the-century Andrews home. Items in the museum are circa 1909, the year Andrews was founded. ...
Cheraw Lyceum
Region: Midlands
The Lyceum (c. 1820) began as a chancery court, became the Lyceum Meeting Room and private library, served as Cheraw's first telegraph office, and was both the Confedera ...