Fishdam Ford

107 Main ST

Chester, SC 29706

Phone: (803) 385-6800

City: Chester

Region: Midlands

Fishdam Ford

Fishdam Ford was the site of the battle on November 9, 1780, in which Gen. Thomas Sumter's men repelled a night assault by Maj. James Wemyss and the British 63rd Regiment. Gen. Sumter had camped at Fishdam Ford in order to draw off troops from Lord Charles Cornwallis's headquarters at Winnsboro. The battle site, which is designated by a small granite marker and an official state historical marker, is on the east bank of Broad River, north of SC 121/72 at the border of Chester and Union counties. The Indian fish dam from which the name is derived can be seen during low water upriver from the highway bridge.

Things to do near Fishdam Ford

Nearby Attractions

  • {{}}

You might also like:

Issaqueena Falls/Stumphouse Tunnel
Region: Mountains
A short easy walking trail leads from Stumphouse Mountain Park to Issaqueena Falls, a beautiful 200-ft. cascade. Legend has it that the Indian maiden, Issaqueena, rode to ...
Boone Hall Plantation
Region: Coastal & Islands
Boone Hall is one of America's oldest working, living plantations, established in 1681 by Major John Boone. The present plantation manor house dates to 1935. The famous a ...
Kings Mountain National Military Park
Region: Mountains
On Oct. 7, 1780, a group of Patriot militia from what is now Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Georgia defeated British Major Patrick Ferguson and h ...
Lunney House Museum
Region: Mountains
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this California style bungalow was built in 1909 by Dr. & Mrs. W.J. Lunney and occupied continuously by the Lunney fam ...
Old Town Hall Museum
Region: Coastal & Islands
Housed in the original Town Hall, the museum (c. 1900) depicts a turn-of-the-century Andrews home. Items in the museum are circa 1909, the year Andrews was founded. ...
Cheraw Lyceum
Region: Midlands
The Lyceum (c. 1820) began as a chancery court, became the Lyceum Meeting Room and private library, served as Cheraw's first telegraph office, and was both the Confedera ...