Fort Charlotte Historical Marker

Savannah River Scenic Highway

McCormick, SC 29835


City: McCormick

Region: Midlands

Fort Charlotte Historical Marker

This historical marker is located in Mt. Carmel at the intersection of SC Highway 81 and Road 91. The ruins of Fort Charlotte today lie some 50 feet beneath the water of Lake Thurmond some 6.6 miles to the southwest. Fort Charlotte was the site of the first overt act of war during the struggle for American independence in South Carolina. It was built between 1765 and 1767 to protect European settlers near Long Canes. On July 12, 1775, it was seized in the name of the Council of Safety, helping mark South Carolina`s entry into the Revolutionary War.

Things to do near Fort Charlotte Historical Marker

Nearby Attractions

  • {{}}

You might also like:

Issaqueena Falls/Stumphouse Tunnel
Region: Mountains
A short easy walking trail leads from Stumphouse Mountain Park to Issaqueena Falls, a beautiful 200-ft. cascade. Legend has it that the Indian maiden, Issaqueena, rode to ...
Boone Hall Plantation
Region: Coastal & Islands
Boone Hall is one of America's oldest working, living plantations, established in 1681 by Major John Boone. The present plantation manor house dates to 1935. The famous a ...
Kings Mountain National Military Park
Region: Mountains
On Oct. 7, 1780, a group of Patriot militia from what is now Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Georgia defeated British Major Patrick Ferguson and h ...
Lunney House Museum
Region: Mountains
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this California style bungalow was built in 1909 by Dr. & Mrs. W.J. Lunney and occupied continuously by the Lunney fam ...
Old Town Hall Museum
Region: Coastal & Islands
Housed in the original Town Hall, the museum (c. 1900) depicts a turn-of-the-century Andrews home. Items in the museum are circa 1909, the year Andrews was founded. ...
Cheraw Lyceum
Region: Midlands
The Lyceum (c. 1820) began as a chancery court, became the Lyceum Meeting Room and private library, served as Cheraw's first telegraph office, and was both the Confedera ...