This historical marker is located in Mt. Carmel at the intersection of SC Highway 81 and Road 91. The ruins of Fort Charlotte today lie some 50 feet beneath the water of Lake Thurmond some 6.6 miles to the southwest. Fort Charlotte was the site of the first overt act of war during the struggle for American independence in South Carolina. It was built between 1765 and 1767 to protect European settlers near Long Canes. On July 12, 1775, it was seized in the name of the Council of Safety, helping mark South Carolina`s entry into the Revolutionary War.