Portman Shoals Historical Marker

Hwy. 24

Anderson, SC 29625


Phone:

City: Anderson

Region: Mountains

Portman Shoals Historical Marker

This marker located at SC 24 and the Seneca River one mile north of I-85 commemorates the Portman Shoals Power Plant that is now submerged beneath the waters of Lake Hartwell. When it began its transmission of electricity it was the longest high voltage electricity line in the country. Because of its success Anderson became known as the "Electric City."

Things to do near Portman Shoals Historical Marker

Nearby Attractions

  • {{item.name}}

You might also like:

Issaqueena Falls/Stumphouse Tunnel
Mountains

Walhalla

Mountains

Mountains

The
Mountains Region

Learn More
A short easy walking trail leads from Stumphouse Mountain Park to Issaqueena Falls, a beautiful 200-ft. cascade. Legend has it that the Indian maiden, Issaqueena, rode to ...
Boone Hall Plantation
Coast

Mount Pleasant

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
Boone Hall is one of America's oldest working, living plantations, established in 1681 by Major John Boone. The present plantation manor house dates to 1935. The famous a ...
Kings Mountain National Military Park
Mountains

Blacksburg

Mountains

Mountains

The
Mountains Region

Learn More
On Oct. 7, 1780, a group of Patriot militia from what is now Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Georgia defeated British Major Patrick Ferguson and h ...
Lunney House Museum
Mountains

Seneca

Mountains

Mountains

The
Mountains Region

Learn More
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this California style bungalow was built in 1909 by Dr. & Mrs. W.J. Lunney and occupied continuously by the Lunney fam ...
Old Town Hall Museum
Coast

Andrews

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
Housed in the original Town Hall, the museum (c. 1900) depicts a turn-of-the-century Andrews home. Items in the museum are circa 1909, the year Andrews was founded. ...
Cheraw Lyceum
Midlands

Cheraw

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
The Lyceum (c. 1820) began as a chancery court, became the Lyceum Meeting Room and private library, served as Cheraw's first telegraph office, and was both the Confedera ...