Pendleton Village Green

125 E Queen ST

Pendleton, SC 29670

Phone: (864) 646-3782

City: Pendleton

Region: Mountains

Pendleton Village Green

On the National Register of Historic Places and one of the largest historic districts in the nation, the town of Pendleton attracted well-to-do residents from the Lowcountry of South Carolina and upland farmers alike. The Village Green remains surrounded by a lively business district of shops and restaurants and is the site for many events, including Historic Pendleton Spring Jubilee, a juried arts and crafts festival held the first full weekend every April. Farmers' Hall, which stands on the southwest corner of the Green, was initially constructed in 1826 to serve as the District's Court House, but the county-seat was moved before the building was completed. Local farmers completed the hall as the Farmer's Society Meeting Hall, and it has been in use by that organization since its completion. It was at a meeting in the Hall that John C. Calhoun's son-in-law, Thomas G. Clemson, and the Farmer's Society first conceived the idea of a land-grant university to train farmers in cutting-edge farming technology. Thus, Clemson University was born. In addition to serving as the Farmer's Society meeting hall, the building also features a restaurant where visitors can enjoy lunch and dinner.

On one corner of the Green is Hunter's Store, the heart of commerce in 1850 and now home to the Pendleton District Historical, Recreational and Tourism Commission, offering both the largest collection of local history and genealogy north of the city of Columbia, and a Visitor Information Center for area sites and attractions. Group tours of the Pendleton Historic District begin at Hunter's Store. Call to schedule group tours.

Things to do near Pendleton Village Green

Nearby Attractions

  • {{}}

You might also like:

Issaqueena Falls/Stumphouse Tunnel
Region: Mountains
A short easy walking trail leads from Stumphouse Mountain Park to Issaqueena Falls, a beautiful 200-ft. cascade. Legend has it that the Indian maiden, Issaqueena, rode to ...
Boone Hall Plantation
Region: Coastal & Islands
Boone Hall is one of America's oldest working, living plantations, established in 1681 by Major John Boone. The present plantation manor house dates to 1935. The famous a ...
Kings Mountain National Military Park
Region: Mountains
On Oct. 7, 1780, a group of Patriot militia from what is now Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Georgia defeated British Major Patrick Ferguson and h ...
Lunney House Museum
Region: Mountains
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this California style bungalow was built in 1909 by Dr. & Mrs. W.J. Lunney and occupied continuously by the Lunney fam ...
Old Town Hall Museum
Region: Coastal & Islands
Housed in the original Town Hall, the museum (c. 1900) depicts a turn-of-the-century Andrews home. Items in the museum are circa 1909, the year Andrews was founded. ...
Cheraw Lyceum
Region: Midlands
The Lyceum (c. 1820) began as a chancery court, became the Lyceum Meeting Room and private library, served as Cheraw's first telegraph office, and was both the Confedera ...