St. John's Lutheran Church

5 Clifford ST
Charleston, SC 29401

Description

St. John's Lutheran Church, established in 1742, is the "mother church" of Lutheranism in South Carolina. Located in Charleston's Historic District, the present church edifice's Greek-Revival style was dedicated in 1818, the second on the site. Both the cemetery and the building are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The front entrance gates represent some of the finest wrought iron work in Charleston's Gateway Walk. The church bell was given to the Confederacy for gunmetal. The tower now rings with a 19-bell cast bronze carillon.

Contact Information

Large Map View | What's Nearby

5 Clifford ST
Charleston, SC 29401

Phone: 843-723-2426
Fax: 843-577-2543
Website
 

Details

  • Days and Hours of Operation : Tours by appt. only. Service with Holy Communion Su 8:30am and 11am
  • Days and Holidays Closed : Sa, Su, major holidays and Easter M
  • Free Admission
  • Listed on National Register