Woodburn Historic House

130 History LN

Pendleton, SC 29670


Phone: (864) 646-7249

City: Pendleton

Region: Mountains

Woodburn Historic House

Woodburn is a majestic four-story Upstate plantation house built c. 1830 by Charles Cotesworth Pinckney when Pendleton became a summer retreat for wealthy Charlestonians to escape the heat of Low County summers. The plantation house was later expanded by Rev. John B. Adger to include the large double piazzas and the stock farm remained in the Adger/Smythe family for the next 50 years as a summer retreat. The 11-acre site includes Victorian carriage house with Thomas Green Clemson's traveling coach and a Conestoga wagon, an 1810 log cabin/cookhouse, and a reproduction of the slave/tenant cabin and walking trail to ruins of other farm outbuildings. Jane Edna Hunter, an African-American activist and reformer who established the prototype of the nationally recognized Phyllis Wheatley Society in Cleveland, OH, was born in a tenant farm house at Woodburn in 1882 and her life is being interpreted in the tenant house. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a site on the SC National Heritage Corridor. Docent lead tours of the house are about one hour. Special school tours are also available.

Things to do near Woodburn Historic House

Nearby Attractions

  • {{item.name}}

You might also like:

Boone Hall Plantation
Coast

Mount Pleasant

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
Boone Hall is one of America's oldest working, living plantations, established in 1681 by Major John Boone. The present plantation manor house dates to 1935. The famous a ...
Wedgefield Plantation Country Club & Golf Course
Coast

Georgetown

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
Situated along the winding banks of the Black River in the city of Georgetown, Wedgefield Plantation Country Club is a breathtaking example of South Carolina Lowcountry s ...
Walnut Grove Plantation
Mountains

Roebuck

Mountains

Mountains

The
Mountains Region

Learn More
Charles & Mary Moore established Walnut Grove on a 550-acre land grant about 1765. These Scots-Irish immigrants raised ten children in the house they built and lived in ...
Thorntree House
Midlands

Kingstree

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
This plantation home of James Witherspoon (1700-1768) was built in Williamsburgh Township in 1749. In August 1780, the house and grounds served as an encampment for 100 B ...
The Rhett House Inn
Coast

Beaufort

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
The Rhett House Inn dates to 1820 when Beaufort was a prominent coastal town noted for its rich culture and politics. Restored after the Civil War, this authentic antebel ...
Oakley Park
Midlands

Edgefield

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
Historic Oakley Park was built in 1835 by Daniel Byrd, a Virginian who came to Edgefield and became a very successful cotton planter. The beautiful mansion later was the ...