The Old Exchange & Provost Dungeon

122 SE East Bay St. at Broad St. ST NW

Charleston, SC 29401

Phone: (843) 727-2165

City: Charleston

Region: Coastal & Islands

The Old Exchange & Provost Dungeon

The Old Exchange & Provost Dungeon is South Carolina's most historic building. Completed in 1771, the Exchange and Custom House was the economic, social and cultural center of the colony. South Carolina delegates to the First Continental Congress were elected here in 1774. The Declaration of Independence was presented to citizens from the steps. In addition, the U.S. Constitution was ratified in the Great Hall. President George Washington entertained here in 1791. The cellar was used as a Provost prison by the British during the Revolution. Pirates were imprisoned on this site in 1718.

Things to do near The Old Exchange & Provost Dungeon

Nearby Attractions

  • {{}}

You might also like:

Issaqueena Falls/Stumphouse Tunnel
Region: Mountains
A short easy walking trail leads from Stumphouse Mountain Park to Issaqueena Falls, a beautiful 200-ft. cascade. Legend has it that the Indian maiden, Issaqueena, rode to ...
Boone Hall Plantation
Region: Coastal & Islands
Boone Hall is one of America's oldest working, living plantations, established in 1681 by Major John Boone. The present plantation manor house dates to 1935. The famous a ...
Kings Mountain National Military Park
Region: Mountains
On Oct. 7, 1780, a group of Patriot militia from what is now Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Georgia defeated British Major Patrick Ferguson and h ...
Lunney House Museum
Region: Mountains
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this California style bungalow was built in 1909 by Dr. & Mrs. W.J. Lunney and occupied continuously by the Lunney fam ...
Old Town Hall Museum
Region: Coastal & Islands
Housed in the original Town Hall, the museum (c. 1900) depicts a turn-of-the-century Andrews home. Items in the museum are circa 1909, the year Andrews was founded. ...
Cheraw Lyceum
Region: Midlands
The Lyceum (c. 1820) began as a chancery court, became the Lyceum Meeting Room and private library, served as Cheraw's first telegraph office, and was both the Confedera ...