Trinity Episcopal Cathedral & Cemetery

1100 Sumter ST

Columbia, SC 29201


Phone: (803) 771-7300

City: Columbia

Region: Midlands

Trinity Episcopal Cathedral & Cemetery

Trinity Episcopal Cathedral is currently in the midst of extensive renovation, both inside and out. This is the first major work of the kind in over 160 years. The Cathedral building is closed to the public, but the cemetery with its numerous graves of historical significance, is open to the public every day. Please contact the Cathedral office for information on services. We anticipate the Cathedral will re-open in the fall of 2010.

In 1812 a group of Columbians incorporated themselves as the first Episcopal parish in the backcountry. They raised the funds and built a small, wooden cruciform structure on the southeast corner of Gervais and Sumter streets. This church building was dedicated in 1814. The church prospered; and in 1845 a large congregation engaged the services of Edward Brickell White, a well-known architect, to design a new edifice. The present building (minus the transepts), modeled after York Cathedral in England, was consecrated in 1847. It was miraculously spared when Sherman burned Columbia in 1865. Today, it is one of the nation's 20 largest Episcopal churches. James F. Byrnes, statesman and US Supreme Court Justice, and six governors, including Wade Hampton III, are buried in its churchyard.

Things to do near Trinity Episcopal Cathedral & Cemetery

Nearby Attractions

  • {{item.name}}

You might also like:

Top