French Huguenot Church

136 Church ST

Charleston, SC 29401


Phone: (843) 722-4385

City: Charleston

Region: Coastal & Islands

French Huguenot Church

The French Protestant Church of Charleston was founded in approximately 1681 by Huguenot refugees from the Protestant persecutions in France. About 450 Huguenots had settled in South Carolina's Low Country by 1700. The first Huguenot Church was built on its present site in 1687, but in 1796 was destroyed in an attempt to stop the spread of fire, which had burned a large surrounding area. The replacement for the original building was completed in 1800 and dismantled in 1844 to make way for the present Gothic Revival edifice, designed by Edward Brickell White and dedicated in 1845 The church was damaged by shellfire during the long bombardment of downtown Charleston in the War Between the States and was nearly demolished in the severe earthquake of 1886. The present building dates to 1845. In 1845, the church also purchased and installed a tracker organ carved in the style and shape of a Gothic chapel. After the fall of Charleston in 1865, federal soldiers dismantled the organ and were loading it on a New York-bound ship when the pleas of the organist, Mr. T. P. O'Neale, and some influential friends saved it. This is the only remaining independent Huguenot Church in America.

Things to do near French Huguenot Church

Nearby Attractions

  • {{item.name}}

You might also like:

Battle of Secessionville Reenactment
Coast

Mount Pleasant

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
Confederate and Union Army encampments, military drills, a horse brigade and a church service are among activities at this annual reenactment at Boone Hall Plantation. ...
The Parish Church of St. Helena
Coast

Beaufort

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
The parish was founded in 1712, but the original church was not completed until 1724, construction being interrupted due to the Yemassee War. Following the Union occupati ...
Old Stone Church
Mountains

Clemson

Mountains

Mountains

The
Mountains Region

Learn More
Revolutionary War hero Gen. Andrew Pickens and others built this Presbyterian church in 1797. The sanctuary was damaged by fire and is no longer in use, but stands watch ...
Mepkin Abbey
Coast

Moncks Corner

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
An active Trappist monastery that welcomes both men and women retreatants. Daily visitors are welcome. The former plantation home of Henry Laurens, Congressional Constitu ...
First Baptist Church
Midlands

Columbia

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
The original church, built in 1811, was located at the corner of Sumter and Hampton Streets and was replaced by a second church in 1859. On December 17, 1860, delegates o ...
Fall Tours of Homes and Gardens
Coast

Charleston

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
Friends of The Preservation Society of Charleston graciously welcome visitors inside the interiors of Charleston’s most historic private homes during the 40th Fall Tour o ...