A Presbyterian congregation was meeting on Edisto Island possibly as early as 1689. The original building was erected in 1710, which later burned and was replaced in 1807. The present church was constructed under the supervision of E.M. Curtis, a Charleston builder and completed 1836. The beautiful Classic Greek Revival architecture reflects the prosperity of the Edisto planters and served both the white and black islanders until the beginning of the Civil War in 1861. It has a large graveyard with many fine gravestones dating from 1792.