Old St. David's Episcopal Church

91 Church ST
Cheraw, SC 29520

Description

The last Anglican or "State" church built (c.1770) in South Carolina under King George III. The church was used by the Americans and the British during the Revolution and later by both Confederate and Union armies. There are soldiers from almost every American War buried in the cemetery. Also in the cemetery is a Confederate monument, the first ever erected (c.1867) in memory of those who had fallen in the Civil War. The original inscription did not mention Confederate soldiers directly because Union forces still occupied the area. The steeple and vestibule were added in 1826.

Contact Information

Large Map View | What's Nearby

91 Church ST
Cheraw, SC 29520

Phone: 843-537-8425
Fax: 843-537-5886
Toll Free: 888-537-0014
Website
 

Details

  • Civil War
  • Days and Hours of Operation : To visit the interior, a key may be obtained at the Chamber of Commerce, 221 Market Street. (843) 537-8425, M-F 9am-5pm and by appt.
  • Days and Holidays Closed : New Year's, July 4th, Christmas, Thanksgiving
  • Free Admission
  • Listed on National Register