The church received its name from this region located in the upper part of the state known as “the Waxhaws,” a name taken from a now extinct Indian tribe that once inhabited the area. Scot-Irish settlers from Pennsylvania established a meeting house on this site in 1755. Andrew Jackson was baptized here in the first meeting house and it was used as a hospital during the Revolutionary War. The original meeting house was burned by the British after a skirmish in 1781 and through the years the congregation raised a second and third church. The present church was erected in 1896 and brick veneered and added in the 1940s.
The adjacent cemetery, is the final resting place of many of the area’s pioneer and Revolutionary War heroes including: Rev. William Richardson, pastor 1759-71; Andrew Jackson, Sr. father of the President Andrew Jackson; Andrew Pickens Sr. father of Andrew Pickens Jr., hero of the Rev War and William Richardson Davie, general in the American Revolution, founder of the University of North Carolina and governor of the Tar Heel state.
The cemetery is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.