Chapel Of Ease

Lands End RD
Saint Helena Island, SC 29920

Description

During the Colonial period, chapels of ease were constructed by rice and cotton planters as houses of worship because their plantations were located so far from the churches in Beaufort. This tabby walled church was constructed between 1742 and 1747 for the planters of St. Helena Island. A forest fire destroyed most of it in 1886. All that remain today are its tabby ruins and an adjacent cemetery.

Contact Information

Large Map View | What's Nearby

Lands End RD
Saint Helena Island, SC 29920

Website