Several Jewish families meeting in 1912 voted to create a Reform house of worship. The cornerstone was laid in 1917 for the first Jewish temple in Spartanburg. Over the next several years members raised funds for pews, stained glass and amidst the Depression, paid off the mortgage in 1937.
During both World Wars Jewish soldiers training at Camp Wadsworth and later Camp Croft worshipped at the temple. Interestingly, among the famous Jewish serviceman to train at Camp Croft in World War II are Zero Mostel, Henry Kissinger and Ed Koch.