The House of Peace Synagogue was built in 1907-1909 and located 100 yards to the south of its present site. The building was sold in 1936 and later moved to its Hampton Street location, where it became "The Big Apple," a popular African-American nightclub. A dance by the same name originated here and swept the country. The nightspot was immortalized in the Tommy Dorsey arrangement "The Big Apple." Today the facility is available for private functions.