Cathedral of St Luke & St Paul

126 Coming ST
Charleston, SC 29401

Description

Completed in 1815 and consecrated a year later, this was the first of the Episcopal churches in the area to be consecrated by an American Bishop. The building was in continuous use during the Civil War; it's bells however were dismantled and sent to Columbia to be melted down to support the Confederate cause.The stained-glass windows in the aspe of the sanctuary are in the style of Sir Christopher Wren, the 17th-century architect of St. Paul's Cathedral in London. They portray the patron saints of the Cathedral (St. Luke & St. Paul) with the center window depicting the crucified Christ , together with St. Mary and St. John. The church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places within a National Register Historic District as a contributing property.

Contact Information

Large Map View | What's Nearby

126 Coming ST
Charleston, SC 29401

Phone: 843-722-7345
Website
 

Details

  • Civil War
  • Listed on National Register