Williams Chapel A.M.E. Church

1908 Glover ST

Orangeburg, SC 29115


Phone:

City: Orangeburg

Region: Midlands

Williams Chapel A.M.E. Church

Architect Miller F. Whittaker’s design in 1915 of this church has been described as an elegant essay in Gothic Revival style. Whittaker was the director of the Department of Mechanical Arts as SC State College and also the first practicing African-American architect in the state. Although construction began in 1915 it was not completed until ten years later. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Things to do near Williams Chapel A.M.E. Church

Nearby Attractions

  • {{item.name}}

You might also like:

First Baptist Church
Midlands

Columbia

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
The original church, built in 1811, was located at the corner of Sumter and Hampton Streets and was replaced by a second church in 1859. On December 17, 1860, delegates o ...
Church Of The Holy Apostles
Midlands

Barnwell

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
Built in 1856 of pine in the typical Gothic style of the English Parish Church, tradition states this Episcopal sanctuary was used as a stable for Union horses by Gen. Ki ...
Catholic Presbyterian
Midlands

Chester

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
The present brick church, the third on this site, was completed in 1842 by David Lyle. The congregation was established in 1759 and is believed to be one of the oldest in ...
Gethsemane Baptist
Midlands

Chester

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
Founded 1852, cemetery, first African-American congregation in the county. ...
Mt. Prospect Methodist Church
Midlands

Chester

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
Built c. 1851, this church still has an intact slave gallery. Call the church or the Chester County library (803-377-8145) for detailed directions or for more information ...
Chester First Baptist Church
Midlands

Chester

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
Founded in 1836, this is the first church formed in the city of Chester. ...