Content: See & Do
Located on North Island near the entrance to Winyah Bay, the original tower is one of two built in the late 1790s. Destroyed by a hurricane in 1806, it was rebuilt in 1812 of white-washed brick. The current tower is 85 feet high with 124 steps leading to the tower. The building is not open to the public. The Lighthouse is sited on North Island at the mouth of the Winyah Bay. It is only accessible by boat. Two Georgetown companies offer tours which take visitors out to the island. Rover Tours – (843) 546-8822 – and Cap'n Rod's Plantation Tours – (843) 477-0287. The 5th order Fresnel lens from the Lighthouse, which was originally lit with whale oil, has recently come to Georgetown and is located at the SC Maritime Museum.