Content: See & Do
Located in eastern Dorchester County, Lincolnville was established in the late 1860s when seven black men became dissatisfied with the treatment they were receiving in Charleston. They took the train north from Charleston in search of land where they might start a new community. The land they chose was known as Pump Pond because it was where the trains stopped for water for the steam engines. The men pooled their savings and acquired the property for $1,000. The settlement was named in honor of President Abraham Lincoln when it received its charter in 1889. Many of the founders and early settlers were members of Ebenezer AME Church. It is one of the few all black towns remaining in SC.