Get Your Free 2019 Vacation Guide

Download your free guide or request a copy by mail below, and start planning your one-of-a-kind South Carolina adventure today.

Vacation Guide Cover
View Our Other Guides
Black Creek Kayak/Canoe Festival

Black Creek Kayak/Canoe Festival

Pee Dee Country

Pee Dee Country

Activities during the day will take place at Lawton Park, Kalmia Gardens and Sonoco’s Lakeview Club in Hartsville.

Sanctioned by the American Canoe Association, the event will open at 9am and run until 4pm. During the day several kayak and/or canoe vendors will be demonstrating their products for interested parties. A number of nature-based organizations will have exhibits in the Lawton Park Pavilion. These exhibitors will include: Black Creek Land Trust, Pee Dee Land Trust, American Rivers, Kalmia Gardens, YMCA of the Upper Pee Dee, Clemson Extension Service, Black Creek Art Council artisans and Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge. Activities during the day will include daylong opportunities to paddle or race the 3.4 miles of picturesque Black Creek in Hartsville, South Carolina. Formal tours of Kalmia Gardens by assistant director Dan Hill are scheduled for 11am and 2pm. Naturally Outdoors of Florence will offer clinics during the day on basic paddling and water rescue techniques.

This year the Black Creek Kayak/Canoe Festival will offer an expanded shuttle service, provided by the YMCA of the Upper Pee Dee. This service will be available to all registered participants.

Rental boats will be available from River Rats and there will be a “SWAP” area for those looking to buy, sell, or trade items.

Music will be provided all day by Timberlyne and various musicians from local business Frets and Necks. Southern Candy Kitchen is the caterer for the event.

Registration is $25 and covers all events, clinics and tours for the day. There is an additional $5 charge for on the water liability insurance. Registration forms are available online at, Naturally Outdoors in Florence, the Darlington County Tourism office, or request the form at