Prince George Winyah Episcopal Church

300 Broad ST

Georgetown, SC 29440

Phone: (843) 546-4358

City: Georgetown

Region: Coastal & Islands

Prince George Winyah Episcopal Church

Prince George, Winyah Parish, among the oldest parishes in South Carolina, was formed in 1721. Its church possesses a handsome Jacobean gable which is one of two noteworthy examples remaining in South Carolina. The church, c. 1750, is a rectangular handmade brick building with semicircular apse at the east end and vestibule at the west. From the vestibule and at the roof line rises a square tower, terminating with octagonal sections. One section contains the clock; the other is an arcaded belfry with balustrade, crowned by a cupola like roof and a large cross. The tower and chancel were added in 1824. It was occupied by British troops during the Revolution, at which time the interior was badly burned. The interior features a central aisle leading to the altar in the apse, old box pews, handmade woodwork, a flagstone floor, organ and choir gallery in the west end. The church cemetery is surrounded by a wall of molded handmade brick. Prince George Winyah Episcopal Church is listed in the National Register. Sponsors of Annual Plantation Tours March 29 & 30th, 2019,

You might also like: