Content: See & Do
1530 Harden ST
Columbia, SC 29204Get Directions
Phone: (803) 376-5735
Founded in 1871 by the African Methodist Episcopal Church, the university was the first private black school in the state established to educate clergy for the AME Church. Law and vocational degrees also were conferred. The school moved to Columbia in 1880 and is named for Bishop Richard Allen, founder of the AME Church. Five buildings on the university's campus green are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.