St. Mark’s Episcopal Church

By:Page Ivey

Date:8/19/2013


Tucked away in Manchester State Forest is one of the oldest churches in Su​mter.

While the building you see today was built in 1855, the congregation of St. Mark’s Episcopal Chu​rch (803) 452-9995, 6205 Camp Mac Boykin Road, Pinewood, is nearly a century older.

The original St. Mark’s was built in 1767 but was destroyed during the Revolutionary War. The current St. Mark’s was built in 1855 and is one of the best examples of the Gothic Revival architectural style in the area. The church was designed by Charleston architects Edward C. Jones and Francis D. Lee.

The church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
St. Mark’s was the church for six South Carolina governors – two of whom are buried in the church cemetery.

James B. Richardson, who was governor from 1802-04, and John P. Richardson, who served from 1840-42, are buried there. Other governors who were members of the church include Richard I. Manning (1824-26), John L. Manning (1852-54), John P. Richardson Jr. (1886-90) and Richard I. Manning (1915-19).

The first rector of St. Mark’s Parish was the Rev. Charles Woodmason, who traveled around the Carolina backcountry for six years as a minister starting in 1761. He kept a ​journal, writing about what he considered the lack of morality and religious fervor among the people on the frontier.

He also did not like the way the needs of those folks were ignored by the power structure concentrated along the coast.

He frequently feared for his well being and life as he traveled, sometimes bringing directives and orders from the governor of the colony.

St. Mark’s bonus: If you want to go see St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, you should add a stop at Poinsett State Pa​rk, 6660 Poinsett Park Road, Wedgefield, (803) 494-8177. Poinsett offers cabins, camping, boating, fishing and hiking and biking trails that lead visitors through Manchester State Forest. Admission to the park is free.

Related Content

Prince George Winyah Episcopal Church in Georgetown
Prince George Winyah Episcopal Church was completed in 1755 and still includes the old-style box pews that were rented or owned by parishioners. Prince George is one of the oldest continuously operating churches in the state of South Carolina.
St. Helena’s Episcopal Church
Completed in 1724, St. Helena’s Episcopal Church, just a couple blocks off the Beaufort River, is one of the oldest in the country in continuous use. The congregation was founded a dozen years earlier but construction was delayed by war.
St. John’s Episcopal Church
One of the oldest churches in Florence is also one of the prettiest. St. John’s Episcopal Church was established in 1865, serving mostly Civil War refugees from the coast. The town had also been home to a POW stockade during the war.

Featured Products

City of Sumter
Midlands

Sumter

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
Sumter is the county seat. In addition to the county and city, a national forest and the fort in Charleston Harbor are named after Gen. Thomas Sumter, the "Fighting Gamec ...
Poinsett State Park
Midlands

Wedgefield

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
A unique combination of history and mixed ecosystems makes Poinsett State Park a special place in the woods. The rural Sumter County park’s setting in the ...

Featured products and attractions in "St. Mark’s Episcopal Church"

Nearby Attractions

  • {{item.name}}

You might also like:

The Parish Church of St. Helena
Coast

Beaufort

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
The parish was founded in 1712, but the original church was not completed until 1724, construction being interrupted due to the Yemassee War. Following the Union occupati ...
Old Stone Church
Mountains

Clemson

Mountains

Mountains

The
Mountains Region

Learn More
Revolutionary War hero Gen. Andrew Pickens and others built this Presbyterian church in 1797. The sanctuary was damaged by fire and is no longer in use, but stands watch ...
Mepkin Abbey
Coast

Moncks Corner

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
An active Trappist monastery that welcomes both men and women retreatants. Daily visitors are welcome. The former plantation home of Henry Laurens, Congressional Constitu ...
First Baptist Church
Midlands

Columbia

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
The original church, built in 1811, was located at the corner of Sumter and Hampton Streets and was replaced by a second church in 1859. On December 17, 1860, delegates o ...
Fall Tours of Homes and Gardens
Coast

Charleston

Coast

Coast

The
Coast Region

Learn More
Friends of The Preservation Society of Charleston graciously welcome visitors inside the interiors of Charleston’s most historic private homes during the 40th Fall Tour o ...
Church Of The Holy Apostles
Midlands

Barnwell

Midlands

Midlands

The
Midlands Region

Learn More
Built in 1856 of pine in the typical Gothic style of the English Parish Church, tradition states this Episcopal sanctuary was used as a stable for Union horses by Gen. Ki ...