Here are five cool gifts that will put the ho, ho, ho back in your holidays:
- Guided fishing trip in the Lowcountry. There’s no bigger thrill than reeling in “the big one.” Cast Away Fishing Charters in Beaufort offers a four-hour trip for up to three anglers for $375. Price includes fishing license, bait, rod and light tackle. Captain Tim will take you to the best spots for redfish, trout, flounder, tarpon, cobia and other nearshore species.
- Self-guided paddle on the Edisto. Carolina Heritage Outfitters in Canadys offers two-person canoe rentals for $60. The Edisto’s fairly constant two- to four-mile current makes it easy to explore this pristine winding waterway — the longest free-flowing blackwater river in North America — and its surrounding cypress and tupelo swamps. Price includes transportation to the launch site, located 10 miles upriver from the take-out.
- Canopy tour in the Upstate. This one’s for the adrenaline junkie on your Christmas list. Wildwater’s three-hour high-flying adventure offers more than a half-mile of air time with 12 zip lines — six of them across a lake — and four sky bridges. The signature feature in this Long Creek attraction is the Bell Tower Express, a 1,100-foot run from a 50-foot high platform. Cost is $89 for adults and $69 for youth 18 and younger.
- Skydiving in Chester. This bucket-list adventure will top anything Santa can stuff in his sack. Participants are securely attached to an experienced skydiver when they make the jump from 10,000 feet. Propelling to the earth at a speed of 120 miles per hour offers the unmatched exhilaration of freefalling for 55 seconds before the parachute opens. The price of a tandem jump at Skydive Carolina! starts at $199.
- Stand-up paddleboarding on Lake Thurmond. Looking for something a little less adventurous? Try the latest recreational rage — stand-up paddleboarding.
Earth Connection Outfitters in McCormick rents stand-up paddle boards for cruising the quiet coves of Lake Thurmond. For $30, you get the board for a full day, giving your outdoor enthusiast plenty of time to master the art of paddling on two legs. For more information, call (864) 993-0109.